Who we are
Our website address is: https://www.seaotterplay.com.
The information that we collect in connection with our Services is controlled by the Sea Otter Classic, Inc., which is headquartered in the United States at 215 W. Franklin Street, Suite 214, Monterey, CA 93940. As a result, such information may be transferred to and processed in the United States, as described in the section below titled “Information for Individuals Outside the United States.”
INFORMATION THAT WE COLLECT
We and our service providers collect a variety of information through the Services, including:
- Account and profile information. We collect information when you create an account or edit your profile, such as your name, username, password, email address.
- Event registration or volunteer information. Through 6Connex and RunSignup.com, we collect information when you register such as your name, address, email address, phone number, country of residence, citizenship, age or date of birth, gender, occupation, emergency contacts, and self-reported disability status, proof of disability, or other health-related information that you provide directly to us as necessary for participation in a Challenge or other event. Our third-party service providers may also collect your payment card information when you submit your registration.
- Challenge activities and results. We collect information when you participate in a Challenge or other event that we organize. For example, we may collect information about your real-time location during a Challenge (such as your progress along the course), and your finishing results. We may share this information with the general public through our Services, as described in the section below titled “How We Share Information.”
- Information you provide to us directly or through the Services. We collect information that you provide to us directly or through the Services, such as when you post questions or comments, respond to surveys, or communicate with us.
- Information collected automatically. When you use our Services, we or our third-party service providers may automatically receive and record certain information. For example, this may include your device’s IP address, user-agent string, information about your use of the Services during your current session and over time (including the pages you view and the files you download), the date and time of your visit, links you click, searches conducted, the website visited before navigating to the Services, your software and hardware attributes (including browser and operating system type and version, device type, and device identifiers), and your general location inferred from IP address. To obtain such information, we or our third-party service providers may use the following technologies to recognize your device and collect information about your Services usage:
- Server logs. When you use the Services, we automatically receive and record certain information from your computer (or other device) and your browser. To obtain such information, we may use server logs or applications that recognize your device and gather information about its online activity.
- Mobile advertising IDs. We may use mobile advertising identifiers (such as Apple’s IDFA or Google’s Advertising ID) to collect information for analytics purposes, as described in the section below titled “Third-Party Analytics.”
HOW WE USE INFORMATION THAT WE COLLECT
We and our service providers use the information that we collect for a variety of purposes, including:
- Providing the Services. To provide our Services to you, organize Challenges and events, fulfill the terms of any agreement you have with us, respond to your requests, and for other purposes related to managing our organization;
- Communicating with you. To communicate with you regarding your account, events for which you have registered or volunteered, important updates regarding our Services, and other administrative issues;
- Sending SOC newsletters or other promotional messages. To send you newsletters or other promotional messages regarding our Services and the events that we organize;
- Enabling community features. To allow you to ask questions, post comments, and communicate with other users on the Services;
- Tailoring our content and advertisements. To tailor content on the Services and target our advertising;
- Conducting analytics and improving our services. To count and recognize visitors to the Services, analyze how visitors use the Services, improve the Services, create new products and services, and conduct analytics, including as described in the section below titled “Third-Party Analytics”;
- Compiling aggregated and de-identified information. To compile aggregated and de-identified statistics or reports that we may share with our partners or other third parties;
- Legal purposes. For legal or other necessary purposes, including as described below in the section below titled “How We Share information.”
HOW WE SHARE INFORMATION
We share information with third parties for a variety of reasons, including as follows:
- Other users of the Services. We may allow you to share information directly with other users of the Services. For example, if you post questions or comments to other users through the Services, add information to your profile, respond to surveys or requests to rate the Apps, or use other features of the Services, then your questions, comments, profile, or other information may be seen by other users of the Services. Please ensure when using these features that you do not submit any information that you do not want to be shared with other users or the public.
- Our partners. We may share information about final Challenge results with our partners, including other non-profit organizations, sports organizations, or researchers who may use the final Challenge results to confirm Challenge eligibility/disqualification, generate reports, or conduct academic research.
- Live updates and final Challenge results. If you participate in a Challenge that we organize, we may share certain information about you with the general public. For example, we may share your name, age group, gender, state and country of residence, and final Challenge results through our Websites. We also may share your real-time location during a Challenge (such as your progress along the course), and final results so that others can track your progress.
- Legal purposes. We may use or share your information with third parties when we believe, in our sole reasonable discretion, that doing so is necessary:
- To comply with applicable law or a court order, subpoena, or other legal process;
- To investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal or prohibited activities, suspected fraud, violations of our rules or terms and conditions, or situations involving threats to other athletes, volunteers or users, our property, or the property or physical safety of any person or third party;
- To establish, protect, or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims.
- Organizational transfers. We may share your information with third parties to facilitate the financing, securitization, insuring, merger, acquisition, sale, assignment, bankruptcy, or other disposal of all or part of our organization or assets.
- Aggregated and de-identified information. We may share aggregated and de-identified information with third parties, such as by publishing or sharing reports with third parties about trends in the usage of the SOC Services.
Please note that our Services do not respond to browser Do Not Track signals at this time.
THIRD-PARTY LINKS, WEBSITES, AND APPS
DATA SECURITY AND RETENTION
SOC uses reasonable physical, technical, and administrative safeguards to protect your information against loss or unauthorized access, use, modification, or deletion. However, no security program is 100% secure, and thus we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your information.
YOUR RIGHTS AND CHOICES
SOC provides you with choices to review, access, and update your information or to exercise your data protection rights, as follows:
- If you no longer want to receive our newsletters or other promotional communications from SOC, please follow the “unsubscribe” instructions that are included at the bottom of each message. Please note that if you unsubscribe from our promotional communications, you will still receive administrative messages from us.
- If you are a California resident under 18 years of age and a registered user of our Services, you may request that we remove content and information that you post on our Services. To obtain removal of such content and information, please send us an email to email@example.com with a short description of the content or information you would like to have removed. Please note that such a request does not necessarily ensure complete or comprehensive removal of content posted by you, since the content and information may remain in our or our service provider’s databases, may remain visible in a manner that does not identify you, or may have been re-posted by another user.
- You may have additional rights under applicable laws to request access to, correction of, deletion of, or restrictions on the processing of certain information. You also may have rights under applicable laws to opt out of or withdraw consent to further processing, request copies of your data, or lodge a complaint with a data protection authority in your jurisdiction. To make such request and/or inquire about such rights, please send us an email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Attn: Privacy/Legal” in the subject line. For your protection, we may only implement requests related to information that we have associated with the email address you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request.
INFORMATION FOR INDIVIDUALS OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES
INFORMATION WE COLLECT:
SOC offers to its users sites that are intended for users of all ages and their families. Our sites offer activities, including activities that may collect information from children. Below we summarize potential instances of collection and outline how and when we will provide parental notice and/or seek parental consent. In any instance that we collect personal information from a child, we will retain that information only so long as reasonably necessary to fulfill the activity request or allow the child to continue to participate in the activity, and ensure the security of our users and our services, or as required by law. In the event we discover we have collected information from a child in a manner inconsistent with COPPA’s requirements, we will either delete the information or immediately seek the parent’s consent for that collection.
Children can, in many cases, register with our sites to view content, play games, participate in contests, and engage in special features, among other things. During the registration process, we may ask the child to provide certain information for notification and security purposes, including a parent or guardian’s email address, the child’s first name and gender, the child’s member or account username, and password. We also may ask for birth dates from children to validate their ages. We strongly advise children never to provide any personal information in their usernames. Please note that children can choose whether to share their information with us, but certain features cannot function without it. As a result, children may not be able to access certain features if required information has not been provided. We will not require a child to provide more information than is reasonably necessary in order to participate in an online activity.
About the collection of parent email address: Consistent with the requirements of COPPA, on any child-targeted site or application, or in any instance where we ask for age and determine the user is age 12 or under, we will ask for a parent or guardian email address before we collect any personal information from the child. If you believe your child is participating in an activity that collects personal information and you or another parent/guardian have NOT received an email providing notice or seeking your consent, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com. We will not use parent emails provided for parental consent purposes to market to the parent, unless the parent has expressly opted into email marketing or has separately participated in an activity that allows for such email contact.
About Verifiable Parental Consent:
Parental Consent. In the event SOC wishes to collect personal information from a child, we will first seek a parent or guardian’s consent during registration.
Certain games and activities that are directed to children allow users to communicate directly with other users by means of a chat system. In most cases, these chat systems employ filters that are intended to prevent the communication of both personal information and age-inappropriate words and phrases. In addition to filters, we may employ live moderation and/or encourage other users to flag inappropriate communications. We strongly encourage children who use these interactive features on our sites and applications never to provide personal information about themselves or any third party, and certainly never to attempt to circumvent our filters or moderation. We also recommend that parents carefully supervise their children when the children participate in online activities.
Where SOC employs a chat system that does not filter all or nearly all personal information, we will first seek consent from the parent.
Contests and Sweepstakes
For contests and sweepstakes, we typically require only the information necessary for a child to participate, such as first name (to distinguish among family members) and parent email address (to notify the parent where required by law). We only contact the parent for more personalized information for prize-fulfillment purposes when the child wins the contest or sweepstakes.
Email Contact with a Child
On occasion, in order to respond to a question or request from a child, SOC may need to ask for the child’s online contact information, such as an email address. SOC will delete this information immediately after responding to the question or request.
In connection with certain activities or services, we may collect a child’s online contact information, such as an email address, in order to communicate with the child more than once. In such instances we will retain the child’s online contact information to honor the request and for no other purpose such as marketing.
If a child-directed SOC site collects geolocation information that is specific enough to equate to the collection of a street address, we will first seek parental consent via email.
When children interact with us, certain information may automatically be collected, both to make our sites and applications more interesting and useful to children and for various purposes related to our business. Examples include the type of computer operating system, the child’s IP address or mobile device identifier, the web browser, the frequency with which the child visits various parts of our sites or applications, and information regarding the online or mobile service provider. This information is collected using technologies such as cookies, flash cookies, web beacons, and other unique identifiers. This information may be collected by SOC or by a third party. This data is principally used for internal purposes only, in order to:
- provide children with access to features and activities on our sites and applications
- customize content and improve our sites and applications
- conduct research and analysis to address the performance of our sites and applications
- generate anonymous reporting for use by SOC
In the event we collect (or allow others to collect) such information from children on our sites and applications for other purposes, we will notify parents and obtain consent prior to such collection.
PARENTAL CHOICES AND CONTROLS
At any time, parents can refuse to permit us to collect further personal information from their children in association with a particular account, and can request that we delete from our records the personal information we have collected in connection with that account.